Some of you might be aware of how dangerous gasses are like the carbon monoxide. Many families have already died without them knowing because of carbon monoxide exposure hence proactive approach must be implemented. With that being said, many homeowners are purchasing detectors to avoid such unfortunate event. But is carbon monoxide the only substance you need to be careful about, well apparently there is another one called radon. How much of this poisonous gas is in your home and are you aware of the adverse effects of these gasses to you and your family’s health status?
Deaths due to radon could be easily prevented if only people are aware on what to do more so radon and carbon monoxide has similar features – both are odorless and colorless gas. A number of studies conducted showing how radon is directly related to lung cancer. An approximate of 20, 000 deaths are recorded each year due to exposure of radon gas moreover this is considered as the leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers. If you are to compare the number of deaths caused by drunk driving and radon exposure, the latter is far more perilous than drunk driving in addition it was found out that 3000 of those deaths are non-smokers.
Compared to carbon monoxide, you cannot just attach a detector on the wall to monitor the levels of radon and changed it once a year. There is only one way to find out how much radon is present in your home and that is through a radon test. There was even a survey conducted which reveals 1 in every 15 homes in a certain country have high levels of radon. Whatever household you have or the location of your residency, it won’t matter the important thing is you are able to conduct a radon testing. Drafty or well-sealed, old home or new ones it doesn’t make any difference still the fact remains that radon testing is necessary. Naturally, this carcinogenic substance is found in the air that people breathe but the question is to what extent is found in a certain place.
Radon emission is brought by a decay of uranium in bodies of land and water. This radioactive gas is present in the air outdoors; oftentimes it penetrates homes through construction joints, cracks on walls, service pipes, gaps in floors and more. It was also claimed by many environmental agencies that radon in one’s home is mainly rooted from the soil that comes in contact with the walls and floors. What these gasses do is that they move up from the ground, pile up and reduce the quality of indoor air that you have at home. If you want to be safe then make sure you have a radon test kit with you.